Thursday, August 6, 2009

cut your nails!

Ok. I must tell you a story. I just went to an office supply store to buy some school supplies I was donating to my neighbourhood elementary school. While I was filling my cart with crayons, markers, glue, scissors, and other crafty and educational necessities, I saw the most disgusting thing I've seen in a while. A "gentleman" was reaching into the same bin full of glue sticks as I was, and as I glanced over at his hand, I noticed the longest, dirtiest fingernails I've seen in quite some time. I mean: absolutely positively without a doubt disgusting.

Now, I could understand the rationale of dudes having long, thick claw like nails if we still lived in jungles and hunted animals and gathered wild nuts and berries. The ability to instinctively protect yourself with razor sharp nails from primal animals and wild cats would be understandable. But we were hunting SCHOOL SUPPLIES, not protecting ourselves from wild beasts.

And, to top it off, said "gentleman" with hawks talons for hands also wore sandals - exposing the most primitive, fungus tainted toes I've seen. For the love of God, people! If the nails on your toes are long, discoloured, fungus ridden, or anything other than healthy and well kept - KEEP YOUR SHOES AND SOCKS ON! No one wants to see, smell, or worst of all, accidentally get touched by such disgusting excuses for toe nails.

Maybe he was going to audition as some side show freak at the local carnival. I don't care what his motive or rationale was - it was disgusting and uncalled for.

So, my friends, listen to me. And listen clearly. Whether man or woman, young or old, stylish or tacky, do us all a favour - maintain your hands and feet. Whether you opt for the professional manicure/pedicure, or choose to exfoliate, moisturize, and trim nails and cuticles at home - you've got to put your best foot forward.

No comments: