Wednesday, July 13, 2011

ABCs of a sizzling summer

Summer is here (in the northern hemisphere, at least) and I couldn't be happier. Don't get me wrong - I love winter clothes, especially outerwear and accessories. But I'm so excited for shorts, linen, trips to the beach that don't require blankets and coats, and fun in the sun! So dust off your favourite sandals, shake your relaxation inducing liquid refreshment, and get outside!

Here are some things I'm loving, in no particular order, of course!

Axe buzzed look cream
- I've not tried this yet myself, but I absolutely love the concept. Haircare + sun protection = a match made in summer's heaven.

Bvlgari Aqva pour Homme Marine toniq - everything I love all in one: freshness of water, clean crispness of citrus, and spicy masculinity of sandalwood.

CB2 - I can't get enough of the younger, hipper brother to furniture giant Crate & Barrel. CB2 brings modernity, utility, and a touch of humour and whimsy to your spaces with purpose and pizzazz.

Denim, especially WHITE denim from Dior. I know white denim is so cyclical, but Dior Homme has mastered their craft for sure. They've incorporated Japanese denim with a slight stretch for comfort and have a lower rise, so they sit casually on the hip. They fit like your favourite pair of jeans from the moment you own them, and incredibly get better with time.

Etiqueta Negra - imagine Ralph Lauren's Argentinian, polo playing cousin. Now splash in a bit more European sensibility, pull out some of the English dandy, and hand him a delicious Mexican cerveza - and you've got Etiqueta Negra. Summer done simply with EN for sure.
Link
Fiat's 500 - finally available stateside. It was almost Euro-overload for me when the cinquecento AND Magnum's classic ice cream bars became available within a short time of each other. I love this little car. Smart, economical, stylish, and room enough for you, your date, and luggage for the weekend jaunt.

Goyard luggage - opulent, incredibly luxurious, long-lasting, well-made, and the perfect travel accessory. As much as I love Louis Vuitton, Goyard makes the best statement whilst away.

Link
Hermes - the luxe French fashion house is always en pointe. Summer wouldn't be complete for me without their intoxicating eau de pamplemousse rose. It's incredible.

iEverything - I know it's just stuff - but my life wouldn't be as organised, I wouldn't be as entertained, and I wouldn't be as connected if it weren't for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod. I can't get enough. I'm especially loving the PRI app.

Last name: Jacobs. First name: Marc. If I could only be obsessed with one fashion brand, I think it'd be with MJ. He's been the pulse of all things kickass since the 80s. I don't know how his creative genius continues to keep evolving in a better-than-expected manner, but each season I seem to love his designs more and more. He took Louis Vuitton from your grandmother's preferred luggage maker to the red-hot luxe brand it is today. (too bad he can't do the same for Dior...)

Kiehl's Cross-Terain UV face protector SPF 50. Broad-spectrum skincare that protects against UVA and UVB damage - Kiehl's knows skincare like Galliano knows how to be offensive. Skin cancer is never en vogue, so protect yourself (in more ways than one!).

Loomstate - Launched in New York City in 2004 by designer Rogan Gregory and Scott Mackinlay Hahn, Loomstate was founded as a casual brand dedicated to creating demand for certified organic cotton using socially and environmentally responsible methods of production. Now they've expanded beyond clothes to accessories, home goods, and specialty collections. Their board shorts and tshirts are summer staples.

Maison Martin Margiela - Like my love affair with Marc Jacobs, I also love Martin Margiela. Understated elegance. The best materials, cut in the best designs, for the perfect aesthetic. Light, airy shirts. Comfortable, durable trousers. Awesome accessories. Expensive, and worth every cent. Check out Margiela's new eBoutique. It's virtual heaven.

Neroli Portofino, the fragrance by Tom Ford. Citruses, with the quiet elegance of orange blossom. It smells like the summer sun in Sorrento.

1 comment: