Tuesday, January 17, 2012

upgrade, downsize, forward thinking, backward reflecting

I love motion. Our lives our in motion. And I just realized, one of my (former) favourite brands called Martin + Osa had a mantra of "lives in motion". And it's true. We're constantly moving - both physically and mentally. We go places. We grow. We travel. We get stronger. We go longer.

Speaking of motion, this year is about improvement. Life is about improvement. My challenge to you: upgrade the things you have, the places you go, and your choices. It's simple. When you make positive changes to your every day; when you go out of your way, even if just a tiny bit, you make a difference. One less potato chip. One more minute of exercise. One more week without Starbucks to buy the better shoes that may be just a tad-bit-more expensive. One less meal out. One more moment spent reflecting on the day. You'll surprise yourself.

Whilst upgrading, simultaneously downsize. Comedian George Carlin once had an entire sketch devoted to people and their stuff. The main point: people get bigger houses to hold the stuff they don't need. Do you really need 10,000 tshirts? Will you ever use that empty tin that your Great Aunt Helena mailed to you 2 Christmases ago? Minimize the amount of stuff; maximize the quality.

I'm not saying you should neglect the moment you're in, but it's important to be forward thinking. Is there action you can do now that will make your life more efficient, more enjoyable, more profitable, or more meaningful? A little preplanning can save you time, and that's more valuable than money for sure.

Spend a quiet moment each day. My roommates in college used to laugh, but I used to ask the same questions when I saw them. "What was the best part of your day? What could have been better? And what could have been worse?" Who and what are important should be on the forefront of your mind. If not, make an effort to include the important ones tomorrow.

A few things I'm loving, in no particular order of course:

-- Lytro Camera. Lytro lets you take pictures like never before. Unlike a conventional camera that captures a single plane of light, the Lytro camera captures the entire light field, which is all the light traveling in every direction in every point in space. Say goodbye to pictures as you know it - you pick what you want to focus on, and can refocus on whatever you want, whenever you want. It's like capturing still-live in motion. The possibilities are endless.

-- I love technology. And I'm super nostalgic. So when you combine vintage-inspired, sustainably harvested beechwood, the convenience to charge my iPhone, and the function of an oldschool alarm clock, it's a win win win for all, and a definite must-have! From Areaware, the Alarm Clock. And it's only $40.

-- comfort + convenience + conservation = the learning thermostat from nest. so. cool. or hot, if you prefer.

-- I know it's not knew, so forgive me if you're already over it. But if you've never heard of the flipboard, and own an iDevice, you must download flipboard. It's your go-to news + information + social network portal all in one. And it's flippin' amazing.

-- love for travel + love for food = love for cooking food from other places. But how many ounces is a gram? And how hot should the oven be? With this most brilliant dish cloth from Crate & Barrel, all of your conversions are at hand. Or at least at the sink.
-- I love Gucci. I love quality accessories. I love this colour blue. So what could be better? Imagine with great denim, a comfy tshirt, and these shoes. Or khaki chinos, a khaki knit sweater, and this perfect pop of colour.



until next time my friends, I propose a toast: here's to our lives in motion.

No comments: