Tuesday, January 19, 2016

more than s'mores and not a weenie in sight

I love food. I don't just mean I like to eat. I am borderline obsessed, like a proper love affair. I love talking about food. I love shopping for food, discovering new flavor profiles and techniques, sharing dishes and recipes. I love growing food, visiting farms and gardens. Whilst eating, I'm talking about food, food preparation, and what's next.  Not that I don't enjoy what I'm feasting on at the moment, but I'm always plotting, planning, and preparing for what's to come.

Food and meals are the perfect excuse for a party. Not that you need a good reason in the first place. 

For me, cooking is a way to honor the people and places I love, keeps memories and legacies alive, and takes you on a journey of adventure, excitement, and love. 


When I was younger, my family was involved with Boy Scouts. Most would be surprised to learn that I love camping, being outside, and I'm actually quite handy and proficient in the wild. Spending many weekends camping, you learn to be creative. From pizza and pineapple upside down cakes to piping hot coffee and cobblers, simple stews to exotic rattle snake, it was definitely a culinary adventure. The more we camped, the more daring our culinary exploration. 

As I've grown older, so too have my tastes. My love of camping hasn't changed, but my food expectations have become a little more specific. 



I think the idea of "glamping" or "glamorous camping" might be a little over the top, but the idea of bringing foods you love is absolutely a must.  Your favorite cheeses, charcuterie, dried fruits, olives and other pickled produce, and nuts make for easy antipasti.  Make cooking easy on yourself by preparing as much as possible from the comfort of your kitchen before you leave by washing, peeling, and produce and storing in sealed bags.  Similarly, butcher, trim, and cut your meat products as well.  This will minimize the need to find flat surfaces, cut down on cooking tools you'll need to pack and cart off the beaten path, and make for speedier meals in general.

What's your favorite campfire meal?

No comments: