Friday, January 1, 2016

sailing into 2016

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to rush the time along.  I try to enjoy each moment, whether good or not-so-much, making the most of each day and experience.  I must say, I am definitely looking forward to spring.  Growing up in warm climates, I love being outside, working in the garden, enjoying the sunshine.

I'm definitely a nostalgic person.  I love handwriting greeting cards.  I prepare family recipes.  Once I establish a system for doing something, I do it the same way, every time, without fail.  I'm a creature of habit, and I'm ok with that.

At this time of year, I always find myself gravitating towards all things water related - sailing, swimming, and all that is associated with the categories.  Nautical inspired fashion.  Seafood dishes.  Decor with a splash of sailing.  Yacht-chic.  I love it all.

Maybe it's because my father is a retired Naval Officer, and I always think so fondly of sailors and the Armed Forces.  Or maybe because I grew up around the water, and associate the smell of the sea with childhood, family, and all things holy.  And maybe because I love warm climates and traveling, so just the thought of boating transforms my mind to an adventure, an exploration, and good times.  Regardless of motivation and nostalgia, here are a few sailing inspired looks and brands I'm loving:

-- Saint James has been making wonderful woven clothing and accessories in France since the mid-1800s.  Their Minquiers 10 unisex top is one of the most iconic sailing shirts imaginable.  Available in more than a dozen color combinations, the long sleeved tshirt features a round neck, straight shape, and the most breathable combed cotton, perfect for a crisp day on the water and warm days in the sun.  My favorite is the blue/white combination.  US$75.

-- Whether spending the day on the water, playing urban hiker and exploring a new city, or biking over the river and through the woods to Grandma's house, a backpack to keep your treasures dry is definitely essential.  Since 1897, Filson have been making quality goods with both design and function in mind, and are particularly geared towards the great outdoors.   I'm particularly loving the Dry Day Backpack.  A lightweight, vinyl-coated polyester backpack with sonic-welded seams, padded ergonomic shoulder straps and rolling hook-and-loop closure.  US$125.

Filson dry day backpack
 -- I love bracelets, for both men and women, and think they look best when stacked with three or four different fabrics, metals, and designs.  Really love the maritime rope bracelets with silver plated anchor from Miansai.  Available in several color combinations, fabric and metal options.  US$60.

Miansai bracelet

-- We all know our bodies are composed predominately by water, and how important daily hydration is for normal system function and optimal health.  Water is also incredibly important for our skin.  Biotherm Homme has an entire range called Aquapower, packing the equivalent of 5,000 liters of thermal spa water into their face care.  I really love their Aquapower cleanser - leaving the skin feeling squeaky clean and super soft.  US$29.

Biotherm Homme

-- I love the warm, natural glow candles add to a room's ambiance, and particularly the light fragrance they bring.  What better way to spring into 2016 and set the mood for successfully navigating the year ahead than with Nest's Ocean Mist & Sea Salt classic collection?  The refreshing essence of a gentle ocean mist is combined with hints of sea salt, white tea and coconut. What's not to love?  From US$16.

Ocean Mist + Sea Salt

 -- Sheila Bridges is one of the coolest interior decorators on the planet.  She holds a special place in my heart, because Mom and I used to watch her show on the Fine Living Network together.  On the show, she always had an undeniable authenticity, encouraging her viewers to live their best life, finding what makes you happy, and creating a space that reflects where you've been, where you are, and where you're going.  And she's studied in Polimoda in my beloved Florence.  Sheila offers an extraordinary collection of hand-screened wallpapers.  My favorite are any of her toile collection, but the sailor in me adores her nautical stripes.  In my dream home, Sheila will do all the wall designs.

Sheila Bridges


-- Whether cruising through Norwegian Fjords, enjoying a day cruise on the sea, or sailing through the Arctic, Norway's Helly/Hansen keeps you protected from all the elements with a dash of style + class.  I'm particularly loving their Salt Jacket, packed full of functional details like hand warmer pockets, fleece collar, adjustable hood, water and wind repellent, and super handy hanger hook.




What trends are you loving?  Regardless of where we go in life, I wish you all the best health, happiness, and harmony in 2016.  And of course, all with an added dash of style + class. 

No comments: