Monday, May 18, 2009

flowers, ruffles, and shades

Sometimes I feel like I'm always surrounded by fashion. Don't get me wrong - I love it this way, and wouldn't choose any other. Whether shopping online, browsing in stores, flipping through magazines and fashion books, staring mindlessly into the television, or chatting with friends and industry leaders, there isn't a day that passes without some portion devoted to fashion. Sometimes intentionally; other times naturally.

When you live fashion, you get the privelage of learning what you truly like. Certain design details and aesthetics become more appealing than others. For example, from women's wear, I love the intricate detail John Galliano weaves into each of his designs - from the Luneville Stitch (an exquisite type of embroidery that began in the city of Luneville, France in 1837 that results in an exact mirror of the image on both the outside and the inside of the garment, rather than only one sided), to the seemingly unending rows of tiny buttons on a blouse or dress.

I love the precisement Valentino used when placing decorative elements like bows or ribbons on his fabulous design.

And the innovation and fantasy Nicholas Gesquière has brought to Balenciaga since 1997. His youth is evident throughout the collections, yet he still pays tribute to the mastery of Cristóbal Balenciaga (and his subsequent proteges and designers - Oscar De La Renta, Andre Courreges, Emanuel Ungaro, and Hubert de Givenchy). I loved when he painted beautiful floral designs on the fabric of some of his favourite dresses a few years back.

For both men and women, I love when designers take time to incorporate useful (and in my opinion very beautiful) visible darting. Darting is the process of gathering and bringing in fabric for a more tailored appeal. My favourite dress shirts from Dior Homme and Ted Baker all have small darts near the back of the shoulder area.

Right now, I'm loving ruffles. Ruffle trimmed dresses, skirts, blouses, and bags. I love them. It's a sweet, elegant way to feminize any piece.

One of my favourite year round accessories is sunglasses. I love seeing what designers are doing to the catagory - updating classic shapes, reinterpreting vintage designs with a twist, and dreaming up new versions all together. Crazy colours. Sexy shapes. I love them.

Below you'll find a series of photographs of sunglasses. Some people are famous. Others should only be famous. After all, when you wear sugnlasses, you instantly up your style quotient and amplify your attitude.









No comments: