Tuesday, December 2, 2008

In Ted We Trust

The day after Thanksgiving in America is called "black Friday". Traditionally, this is the day that crazed shoppers begin their holiday shopping blitz by waking up incredibly early solely for their shopping pleasure. This increased shopping trend is usually when stores cross over from being red (or negative in terms of sales, year-to-date) to black (or positive, in terms of sales, year-to-date). Stores open as early as midnight, but mostly between 5 and 8 in the morning. Shoppers are enticed with sales, gifts-with-purchase, additional inventory and selections, and often complimentary gift wrapping and tailoring as well.

In our current economy, analysts and investors alike were closely watching the performance of Black Friday. Personally, I think shoppers have been saving a little extra cash to allow for more shopping on this Black Friday (and the entire weekend, actually). Think about it - when more stores have more merchandise for lower prices than normal, of course it would be the optimal time to shop. If you get more for your money, you get more in the end.

And I definitely did my part. My brother and I both have been stalking a particular Ted Baker jacket since it literally was placed on the sales floor of a local department store. Originally priced at US$400, I probably tried the coat on at least a dozen different times. And, the day after Thanksgiving, it just so happend that the coat was on sale for about US$140. I didn't exactly want to spend the money on the jacket. After all, I've been saving money for vacations and traveling and my brother's upcoming wedding. But since I had seen it, I compared every other jacket I saw to this jacket. I just had to have it. So, as you guessed, I'm happy to add it to my collection of wonderful wares. I've included a few photographs from Ted's website of the jacket.


I have big plans for this jacket. I'll keep it casual with my favourite tshirts (especially navy, chocolate, black, and white) and jeans. And I'll dress it up with tailored dress pants (also from the aforementioned colour scheme), a button down oxford, and great scarf.


When there's something you love, whether you can afford it or not, trust that if it's meant to be yours, it will be. If not, you can always wait until next season. Fashion is like a constant, ever-changing crush. Just when you think you're in love with something, there's something bigger and better on the horizon. And as always, In Ted We Trust.

No comments: