Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Presidential Fashions


From CNN Associate Produce Martina Stewart:
WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sometimes even one of the most powerful men in the world has to answer to the fashion police.

President Barack Obama found himself in just that situation in an interview that aired Tuesday on NBC.

Asked about criticism of the jeans he wore recently when he threw out the first pitch last week at the Major League Baseball All-Stars game, Obama didn't make any excuses.

"Michelle – she looks fabulous," the president said of his wife who has increasingly become a global fashion super star since Election Day.

"I'm a little frumpy," Obama said of himself by comparison.

The president also offered some insights into his self-admitted lack of sartorial expertise.

"Up until a few years ago, I only had four suits," the commander-in-chief said.

"I hate to shop. Those jeans are comfortable. And for those of you who want your president to look great in his tight jeans, I'm sorry. I'm not the guy," Obama added.

Obama's jeans choice for his all-start game appearance were widely panned by fashion critics and even dubbed "mom jeans."
What do I think? Honestly, I don't really care about our President's jeans. I understand he's our first black President, the first young President we've had in quite some time, and the President with a host of global, social and economic issues, so the media is really analyzing everything he is doing. But, I really don't care about his jeans (whether good or bad!). I think the media should focus more on promises made, accountability, and balanced journalism. And best of all, international news organizations should leave the fashion analysis to fashion bloggers. Not that I'm bias or anything.

No comments: