Friday, May 7, 2010

Stand Up To Cancer - Team Debbie's Dreamers

Stand Up To Cancer - Team Debbie's Dreamers

Dearest Thirsty.Threads readers and guests:

Chances are, we all know someone with cancer. Maybe a family member, a close friend, a neighbor, or even yourself. The sheer number of people who bravely battle this disease is only getting worse. But together, we can make a difference.

My Mom had skin cancer for as long as I can remember. But as any brave, graceful Mother would do, my family life was never centered around her treatment. "Special trips to the beach" were really so that we could travel to other cities so she could receive expert radiation. "Lunch by the river" was really because she had another appointment at the dermatologist. Whether we were in the pool, at the beach, or out camping, Mom was standing by us, with her trademark wide brim hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen bottle nearby.

Then the melanoma spread to her lungs, brain, and some lymph nodes, too. The doctors said she only had a few months. I quit my job, moved home, and helped my Dad and older brother take care of Mom. My brother and I did things that sons should never have to do for their Mothers, but we didn't think twice about it. Caring for Mom was the most difficult, yet easy experience. The most complex, yet the simplest task. The saddest, yet happiest time.

On April 15th, 2007 - Divine Mercy Sunday, my Mom died.

This April 15th, on the third anniversary, I started a team with the "Stand Up 2 Cancer" foundation to raise money for cancer research and most importantly to spread awareness and hope. I'm trying to raise $10,000 in one year (from the 3rd anniversary of Mom's death, until her 4th anniversary).

It's not just about donating money. Volunteer your time and talents to a local hospice or hospital. Set the example to your friends and family, and live a healthier life. Eat better; move more. Regularly visit your doctor.

We all know that when we look good, we feel better. So put on your party shoes, and make the sidewalk your catwalk. Join my team. Spread the word. Stand Up 2 Cancer! And know how much I appreciate the help.

No comments: