Tuesday, August 5, 2008

think Minimal Accessories for Maximum Statement

I love accessories. From braided bracelets to dreamy diamonds, from vintage velvet hair accessories and exquisite estate jewelery, I love them all. I've worn 2 bracelets on my left hand for almost 2 years now. One, an off-white braided sailor type bracelet reminiscent of the 60s and 70s that only gets better with time. Intertwined with the sailor bracelet is a very small beaded bracelet with a tiny black cross in the middle. I wear them to represent my Father (who served in the US Navy for a couple decades), and my Mother (a devout Catholic who died from cancer about a year and a half ago). I think I got the braided bracelet at J.Crew for about $5,00. The cross bracelet in platinum couldn't be from a more opposite side of the fashion world, as it was acquired at the Giorgio Armani flagship boutique in Roma. And it was definitely special, as I bought it the day before we saw Pope John Paul II. It has since been blessed by Pope Benedict as well.

I wear my 2 bracelets every day, and don't take them off. They have accessorized everything from swim trunks on the Mediterranean Sea, to the most formal black tie events. When I'm nostalgic or feeling down, I imagine the wrapped bracelets as my parents themselves, supporting me, encouraging me. These 2 bracelets mean so much to me. I can't even begin to tell you. When accessories and fashion have meaning, their simple added touch can bring so much life and worth to a look. Your great-Aunt's sterling silver hair clip. Your Grandfather's watch. Or the friendship bracelet your first girlfriend made for you in 2nd grade. These accessories need not be expensive. When they mean something, they are priceless. Just remember, the trick with accessories is to not go overboard. You don't want to be that girl with rings on every finger. Or that guy who looks like he just raided Walter Mercado's closet. Think minimal accessories for maximum statement.

No comments: