Monday, June 22, 2009

the perfect greeting card

I was at Hallmark today buying a few cards for one of my good friend's little brother's birthday. For those of you who don't know, I have a small obsession with Hallmark greeting cards. I probably send 20 cards a month to various friends, family, and clients. I love sending greeting cards in the mail. There's something a bit old school, a bit out of the ordinary in today's society of electronic centered, impersonal messaging. I usually end up buying two or three cards for each occasion, especially when there are really funny cards or cards that say just what I need them to.
While I was looking through the extensive birthday cards, I found the perfect card for one of my clients. She owns a fabulous home furnishing and fine art boutique. I met her several years ago when I stumbled upon her shop, and I have been hooked ever since. Her ability to create an amazing customer experience, with the most exquisite personal touches, should be the model for all boutique owners.

And I'm sending her this card today:


The inside of the card says, "Stupid Catalog."
I couldn't stop laughing when I saw the card! How many times have we ordered something in a catalogue, thought it was going to look one way, but ended up being the most ill-fitting, unflatering piece of rubbish?! This card alone makes the case for having a personal shopper. Personal shoppers know exactly how things are going to look, feel, and fit.
So, the next time you're going to order something in a catalogue, think twice. Be sure to check the fabric, study the pictures and identify how the garment drapes and wears, and don't be afraid to call the retailer and ask questions first! Buyer beware!

No comments: