Monday, January 5, 2009

networking = not working

Whilest a pupil in university...

OK, so I realize that is was too formal for language on my blog. Shall I commence again?

"When I was in college" I was the student assistant for our Board of Trustees. They were probably the most powerful, successful, and influential minds I'll ever hope to interact with. One of the many lessons I learned was from the former Chariman, who just happens to be the former president of a certain powerful company known spearheaded by a certain Mr. Mick. E. Mouse.

I learned that "networking" is one letter different than "not working" - the more people you know, especially people who are successful, powerful, influential, and/or well connected, the better it is for your future.

With that said, in honour of my Grande Mentor (as I love to call him), I shall provided some simple tips on how to improve your networking (and your image, too!) throughout the year. I want 2009 to not only be successful for me, but you as well.

So, your tip of the day -

Always carry everything in your left hand. Whether a brief case, a purse, your tote bag, your groceries, your umbrella - whatever it is - keep it in your left hand. This way, should you be required to introduce yourself to someone - your right hand is instantly free, not sweaty or dirty, and ready to be extended. The more you extend your hand in introduction, the more you extend your network.

No comments: