Wednesday, October 22, 2008

political fashions

I love fashion. And I love politics. Just as fashion and music go together, fashion and politics also go hand-in-hand. We've never seen so much attention on appearances and trends in this upcoming US Presidential election. NBC's Today Show anchor Hoda Kotb pondered live on the air "I wonder what Michelle Obama does to get her hair that soft and free flowing!". Internet and television media dissected Cindy McCain's "debut" ensemble and even speculated the price of each individual item. And the maker of Gov. Palin's frameless glasses has seen record sales.

Senator Obama's camp has created a campaign called "Runway to Change" and features several items designed by some of the industry's best - Vera Wang, Tory Burch, Tracy Reese, Pharrell Williams, Zac Posen, Narcisco Rodriguez, Nanette Lapore, Marc Jacobs, Diane Von Furstenberg, Proenza Schouler, Isaac Mizrahi, and others. With $60 t-shirts and $80 tote bags, Senator Obama has obviously inspired some of the best designers and asked for their support in fundraising and spreading his message.

I hope it's not just a trend for Americans, especially young Americans, to be so interested in politics. With so many "famous" people voicing their opinions and trying to sway others' votes, I hope everyone can see past the glitz and the glamour of Hollywood and celebrities and truly vote on their own accord. Don't get me wrong, I really do love Diane von Furstenberg's work, but I don't exactly think she is the moral compass of my political ideals.

Designing dresses? Yes. Influencing the US Presidential Election? God I hope not.

Remember, taking an active role in democracy is always in style. Using your voice to shed light on important issues is always en vogue. Casting your ballot for the next leader of this republic is full of glamour. After all, we are the people.

No comments: